TR-0057 Benefits of using oneM2M
- Easy interworking/integration with existing & evolving deployments paves the way to long term evolution and sustainable economy.
Does not disrupt existing “vertical deployment”, but evolves it. Supports interworking with legacy technology.
Interworking with a rich set of proximal IoT technologies, embracing different ecosystems.
Takes advantage of the operators’ network capabilities and existing management technologies.
- Service Layer on top of transport network supporting a choice of transport protocols and serializations of data/message
- Flexibility: it can be deployed on all domains, not tied to a particular protocol technology.
- IP based: relies on known existing APIs to handle IP communications.
- Aware of optimizations if underlying network is 3GPP-based: can make use of policy-based scheduling, power saving mode, triggering /wakeup of devices, non-IP data transport, etc without the need for the developer to be aware of these terms.
- Enhances data sharing efficiency: communications over an underlying network are policed by provisioned policies that govern the use of network resources based on configurable categories of events/messages. Avoids storm of low-value messages in netoworks with costly resources. Lowers Opex.
- For example, in use cases with a need for fast & compact message exchanges one may want to rely on TCP sockets (opened via web sockets) and use binary serialization (e.g. CBOR) whereas in other cases a combination of HTTPS/JSON may be preferable for simpler debugging.
- Evolution: supported transport protocols and/or message serialization can evolve while the oneM2M code will not change. This allows for easy adaptation to future transport technologies.
- Horizontal platform provides common service functions that enable multiple IoT domains
- One investment/deployment serves multiple domains, does not re-invent the wheel. Lowers Capex.
- No need to maintain domain-specific platforms, reduction in Capex
- Cross-domain service/application innovation with a common framework and uniform APIs, allows for sharing of information and processes across domains that were isolated thus far (e.g. home security system versus heating system), Supports new business opportunities.
- Re-use of the code whatever the domain was. Increases reusability / lowers Capex.
- Data sharing and semantic interoperability brings the real value.
- Data oriented RESTful API design.
- Semantic data annotation, discover and reasoning facilitates intelligent analytics and service mashups.
- Security protection at both channel and object level, with static and dynamic access control.
- Open standards to avoid lock-in to a platform or a cloud provider.
- No single party or company controls the technology / features.
- Several open source implementations available (CSE or AE).
- oneM2M is an international standard.
- Developed using standardization methodology that has insured successful interoperability in many technical domains, using the same process as in 3GPP.
- Developed by many companies based on consensus: it does not depend on a single or a small number of companies; not using a closed proprietary technology.
- It is an open standard: transparent development process & open access to all deliverables; all the specifications, even the drafts are available at http://www.onem2m.org/technical/latest-drafts
The oneM2M initiative can remove fragmentation of the IoT world. Because it is independent of the access or protocol technology that is used for transport, it is designed to be a long term solution for IoT deployment.